Author: Sarah Darer Littman
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Realistic Fiction
1. I realized that some people are never going to change. After reading Backlash, and after feeling irritated, angry, and sad beyond words, I cam to the conclusion that not everybody I’m going to encounter in the world is going to change the way they think. Not everyone is going to feel remorse or even grow as a better person. One of the main points of views that I was forced to read (ugh) never felt an ounce of guilt after hurting and being the cause of a suicide attempt.
2. I was never going to feel light hearted after looking at such a mix of point of views. Reading through the point of views of someone selfish and vile is one of the hardest things that I have ever had to do. I wanted to punch a brick wall after having ben fead these words of hatred and self centered desires. I didn’t feel my heart lessen it’s tightness or it’s weight. Even once the final words were spoken and the last words grazed my eyes, my heart didn’t feel much different than it did when I was a hundred pages behind.
3. There is reality and there is the truth. Bullying is everywhere. I learned that it may never stop. Some people may not intend to hurt others, but bullying can be in the form of harsh words and actions that could hurt and scar others and alter the way other people look at them and how they feel about themselves and their life.
4. Some people are just really good at lying. Bree was tired of listening to Lara moan about her life, but did she have the right to pretend that she cared even in the slightest. She sat there are lied to someone who thought of her as a friend and the worst part is that she didn’t even care.
5. Even parents can be cruel sometimes. I was reading and bitching about how much I absolutely hate Bree and Lara’s little sister. Then, I turn my back for one second and return and suddenly Bree’s mother is also involving herself in Lara’s demise and self hate. It doesn’t have to be a teenager that starts or involves the pain and the hurt. Adults-who are often looked up to-can also hurt others. The one’s who don’t know the impact their actions have on other. The ones who did not care and never will, no matter who gets hurt along the way.
[ Includes a Spoiler ] 6. Even in times of close death and emergency, people will still see they own centered way on how the universe works. Bree took a video of Lara being loaded onto a stretcher after she tried to commit suicide?! AND she posted it on Facebook? What happened to her soul? Did it burn away in a fire never to be seen again? It doesn’t matter what many people say. Not everyone has good in them. Some people are just pure evil which ever way you have to turn to see it.